Saturday 15th October 2022, 10am until 4pm ~ full day / 6 hour session.
A right of passage on your dressmaking journey! – the humble pj’s. Make them for yourself! Make them for your friends and family (great for gift giving). With very little fitting, you’ll get to grips with the basics and master them in no time!
Please read through the full details prior to booking this class, thank you. Any questions we are happy to answer them.
IMPORTANT : From 2021, classes are no longer refundable. There is a lot of work to be done before you arrive at your class. Preparation and time, materials sourced and paid for, fabrics cut to size, instructions written / printed out, thread matched, bobbins wound, and Tutors paid. Class sizes are small and everything is costed. For this reason we are also unable to transfer your place to another class. You may send someone in your place, just let us know their name and contact details in advance please. If you are unable to attend, do contact us as soon as possible 01463 263007, with exceptional circumstances we may be able to arrange something but this is not part of the booking terms and conditions.
In this session you will be:
- Learning sewing language – understanding the instructions.
- Taking your measurements, to decide which size you are, grading between sizes, if necessary.
- Adjusting pattern length, if required.
- Placing pattern in the most economical way on your fabric, to lessen wastage.
- Cut out fabric, and finish off the seams to help prevent fraying.
- Constructing your pj’s
- Standing back and admiring each other’s fabulous creations!
What is included?
- Paper pattern & instructions.
- If you are intending to make it for yourself, you have to check that the pattern fits you.
- The paper pattern size range is from Waist 22″ / Hip 31″ to Waist 42″ / Hip 51″. We can easily obtain the pdf version for you, for up to size W 53″ H 61″.
- Use of sewing machines and tools. If you do wish to take your own pins/pincushion/scissors etc please feel free to do so.
What you need to bring along:
- Fabric, prewashed, dried and ironed. Matching thread. It is important to prewash your fabric incase there is any shrinkage.
- How much fabric to bring, you will need to measure your waist and hips to determine your sewing pattern size, as well as which version of the skirt you would like to make. These are not always the same as your shop bought size! Ask us to help you. As a rough guide you will need between 1.7 mtrs and 2.5 mtrs depending on the fabric width and size chosen. If you choose to make the Pj’s from quilting weight cotton (44″/110cm wide fabric) you will need 2.5mtrs no matter what size you are making.
- If you don’t have fabric, you can purchase from us prior to the class, with a 15% discount. If you are unable to come in, we can give you an online discount code to use for the class fabric.
Who is this class suitable for?
- Beginners to dressmaking BUT you must be able to use a sewing machine, or have attended any of our previous classes. Please speak to us if you’re unsure.
- AGE: 16 years plus.
- CLASS SIZE: maximum 3 people
- TUTOR: Louise.
- DURATION: 6 hour session.
- LUNCH: We will stop for approximately 20/30 minutes for lunch. Please bring your own. Refreshments (teas/coffees) provided throughout the session.
- MATERIALS: you need to bring fabric, which you have prewashed (this avoids any shrinkage and garment not fitting) and matching thread.
- WHERE: sessions takes place in the studio space at The Wee Fabric Shop, 21 Tomatin Road, Inverness. IV2 4UA.
- MASKS: optional, hand sanitising.