WEEKDAY : Friday 10th November 2023. 10 am – 12.30pm. (1 x 2.5 hour session).
These classes are individually for October & November, book as many as you would like.
DRESSMAKING ~ Build your skills and confidence. We are thrilled to have Louise take this class, her years of experience and knowledge, as well as her passion and patient manner, will bring you more confident in your sewing abilities.
Is this class for you?
- Have you tried making garments from patterns unsuccessfully.
- Unable to decipher what the pattern and instructions are asking you to do.
- Unconfident in choosing a size and the fabric for patterns.
- Would like to learn basic skills to achieve greater results.
- Have sewn for years but this is my first time (or getting back into it since school!) trying your hand at dressmaking.
- Need the dedicated ‘me-time’ to complete project(s) 2.5 hours sessions, book as many as you like.
- Would like to sew with others.
What you need to take:
- The pattern you wish to make. For learning you are advised to make a simple pattern, nothing over complicated or couture, so we can manage expectations, enabling you to learn the basics, gaining confidence and building the foundation of your dressmaking.
- Required fabric – if you are struggling, we can help you choose in advance of your class.
- Matching thread
- If you have a basic sewing kit of pins & hand sewing needle, please do take this along too.
The class will be a relaxed format, where you can freely ask as many questions and for help as you sew along. You can arrange homework, where you can sew at home in between times (if you book more than 1 session), to help with progress. This is not speed sewing, it’s relaxed so you feel under no pressure. Reading your pattern instructions as you sew along is fundamental to your learning, to help you understand the terms and recognise the process for your future making.
During your sessions Louise demonstrates techniques, which can be shirt collar, concealed zip, buttonholes etc – depending on you and your fellow students requirements.
Skill Level: From Beginner to Improvers, you will have been expected to have used a sewing machine, and sewn a few things (doesn’t have to have been clothing), if you’ve been to our classes before you should have basic knowledge. If you’re unsure please talk to us, we want to make sure the class is right for you.
- Class size: 3 people
- Age 16 years plus
- Tutor: Louise from Rowancrafts Dressmaking
- Session takes place in the studio space at The Wee Fabric Shop, 21 Tomatin Road, Inverness. IV2 4UA
- Hours: 2.5 hours
IMPORTANT : From 2021, classes are no longer refundable. There is a lot of work to be done before you arrive at your class. Preparation and time, materials sourced and paid for, fabrics cut to size, instructions written / printed out, thread matched, bobbins wound, and Tutors paid. Class sizes are small and everything is costed. For this reason we are also unable to transfer your place to another class. You may send someone in your place, just let us know their name and contact details in advance please. If you are unable to attend, do contact us as soon as possible 01463 263007, with exceptional circumstances we may be able to arrange something but this is not part of the booking terms and conditions.