Monday 20th Nov & 4th December 2023, 11am – 2.30pm (2 x 3.5 hour sessions)
An intro into cutting, patchwork and quilting, to create a 12″ block and finishing with binding.
Learn some basic sewing skills cutting out, stitching and quilting your table centre piece. The perfect size to dip your toe in, without committing to a large project. Whilst patchwork and quilting can be a showcase of extreme accuracy, our aim is to show you the ‘how to’ and enjoy the process. Traditionally patchwork was used to repurpose fabrics into blankets and clothing, nowadays they can be extremely precise artwork.
- Cutting out the patchwork pieces is a major part of the first session.
- Using an acrylic ruler and rotary cutter. (The ruler will be yours to keep.)
- Exploring the easiest way for you to cut out accurately.
- Looking at the logic of how to assemble your pieces.
- Learning stitching techniques for accurate seams and joins.
- Importance of pressing.
- Quilting the layers together.
- Binding the edges, with mitre corners.
- During the 2 sessions you will have homework. (This should be able to be completed in an afternoon.)
- The second session is quilting, sewing binding and finishing with hand sewing, it’s the last part of the process and may need to be completed after the sessions, at home.
- Use of our equipment and sewing machines.
- Tea and coffee will be provided.
- AGE: 16 years plus.
- CLASS SIZE: 4 people.
- SKILL: beginner, you will have used a sewing machine, and/or attended one of our classes previously.
- MATERIALS INCLUDED: pack of fat quarters (there will be a selection to choose from) . You will have more than enough fabric to make more patchwork blocks at home. Acrylic ruler.
- TUTOR: Marice.
- WHERE: sessions takes place in the studio space at The Wee Fabric Shop, 21 Tomatin Road, Inverness. IV2 4UA.
IMPORTANT : From 2021, classes are no longer refundable. There is a lot of work to be done before you arrive at your class. Preparation and time, materials sourced and paid for, fabrics cut to size, instructions written / printed out, thread matched, bobbins wound, and Tutors paid. Class sizes are small and everything is costed. For this reason we are also unable to transfer your place to another class. You may send someone in your place, just let us know their name and contact details in advance please. If you are unable to attend, do contact us as soon as possible 01463 263007, with exceptional circumstances we may be able to arrange something but this is not part of the booking terms and conditions.